Blast Furnace is an independent literary publisher based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, still often referred to as the steel city.
Blast furnaces were utilized for smelting and refining industrial metals, generally iron, and were widely used in the creation of steel in the Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania region during the United States' 20th century industrial boom.
Mission & Values
We value poetry that is architecturally functional and distinctive on the page.
We value poetry that is stripped—burnt down—to its purest state, in both form and context.
We value brave poetry that takes risks and, therefore, resonates with a discriminating audience.
We value soulful poetry from the core—recited or read aloud—as it was originally intended.
Ends on 9/30/2015
Blast Furnace enthusiastically announces its second annual poetry chapbook competition, which will officially begin July 16, 2015!
Following are the details:
- Submission deadline: September 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST
- We will entertain manuscripts from any poet who has not previously been published in his/her own chapbook-length collection of poetry.
- Submitter restrictions: No manuscripts by current Chatham University staff, alum, or students are permitted. No manuscripts by Blast Furnace guest reviewers are permitted. United States residents only—unfortunately, we are unable to accept manuscripts from international authors at this time.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted.
- Each poet may submit only one (1) manuscript.
- Manuscript Format: Manuscripts must be typed in 12 pt font and submitted in one of the following electronic file formats: .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf. Document length must be no less than 19 and no more than 27 pages of poetry. Poet’s first and last name, U.S. mailing address, active email address and telephone number must be included on the first page of the manuscript document, along with the manuscript title. The second page of the manuscript must be the manuscript TITLE ONLY. Any identifying information about the poet must not appear on any other pages of the document. Table of contents must be included with the manuscript. If applicable, include acknowledgements of previously published poems included in the manuscript. For the “Title” field in the Submittable form, type the manuscript TITLE ONLY of the manuscript, followed by “chapbook” ([TITLE – chapbook]).
- All manuscripts will be printed out and the title page with the poet’s identifying information page removed prior to the review process.
- No hard copy (U.S. Mail) submissions. Submissions must be made via Submittable at https://blastfurnace.submittable.com/submit/44375
- Reading fee: $14
- One (1) winner only will be selected.
- Prize: Winner receives $200 and ten (10) complimentary copies of the winning chapbook.
- Winner announced within two (2) months following the submission deadline.
- Judge: L. Lamar Wilson, http://www.llamarwilson.com
We look forward to reviewing your work!
Ends on 12/31/2015
Many thanks for your support.
Once you purchase the eChapbook via credit card or PayPal, you will receive a confirmation email, and a subsequent email with the eChapbook file attached.
Additionally, to celebrate the launch, a FREE reading by the poets is slated for Thursday, May 14, 2015 from 7 to 9 PM at Eclipse Lounge in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ends on 9/30/2015
Call for Submissions: Volume 5, Issue 3
For our nineteenth issue, we are entertaining works on chrome, rust & steel: poems about cars, cabs, vans, buses, trains, subways or driving/riding in any of those vehicles, as well as fine original poetry outside of this/these theme(s). We simply ask that individual submissions do NOT exceed more than three (3) poems per poet, and that each individual poem NOT exceed more than three (3) pages.
As a reminder: we accept a few kinds of submission formats: portable document format (.pdf), rich text format (.rft) and .doc/docx (Microsoft Word) files, OR .mp3/.wav audio files.
That said...please submit your BEST poems, or, if you prefer to create an audio recording of yourself reciting your poetry, send ONLY ONE (1) file attachment of NOT MORE THAN 2 MINUTES/120 seconds in total duration to http://blastfurnace.submittable.com/Submit
Please read our Mission/Values, Submission Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) posted near the top of our web page, before submitting to review what resonates with us. We love a variety of poetic styles, but we are also picky.
DEADLINE: September 30, 2015, at 11:59 PM EST
Ends on 12/31/2015
Your support translates into funding website domain fees, a single printed prize-winning chapbook each year, and potential redesign of the literary journal's internet presence, in order to provide a less labor-intensive user experience and landing pages for individual poets.
Donations can be made here via PayPal or Credit/Debit Card.